Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Angel Eyes

Welcome Back!!

I have been inundated with "Love Story" movies since my childhood. Some were good, and some were not so good. Still, I tend to enjoy love stories for two reasons:

1. I like stories-- hello.

2. I am unimpressed with movie makers who use technological cinematic advances to replace stories.

Love stories tend to keep it the way I like it- story driven.  I am not opposed to all the movie magic that is out there.  I just resist if it becomes the thrust of the movie, rather than an aid in telling a good story better. I guess it's like sex scenes for me. If they add to the plot development, then fine (to a degree... and I would dare say my degree of tolerance is greater than most). But, if they replace story, I would prefer they be left out completely.  But I digress (and not for the last time, I'm sure).

Another great thing about love stories is how my (and I would wager your) acceptance of them depends on how love is treating me.  If I'm in love (as I am now) nothing is too sappy. Yet, when I was young, kissing was gross. My reaction to the same stories changes as my life-views and love-views change. Ever happen to you??

So, I just want to mention a simple little love story called, "Angel Eyes," with Jennifer Lopez and Jim Caviezel. It's not my absolute favorite-- as I have already said, my favorite would change frequently anyway-- but today, it's in the forefront of my mind.

I like this flick because it is about imperfections. She has problems, he has problems, they have problems. Real life is messy, and watching Disney too much can warp the minds of our youth. Disney has it's place in the cinema, of course (actually, I think I HAVE to say that to retain my relationship, right Sallie?? A deal-breaker if ever there was one!!).  Every once in a while, though, I like a movie that portrays the grittiness of life a little closer to home- without taking it overboard.

One of the dearest people on the planet to me-- Margie-- has been sharing her take on life and love with me . She says she loves my brother more than ever-- not in spite of his imperfections, but because of them.  Wow, I'm glad she met him first-- my imperfection list dwarfs Art's by a bunch!! But the realness of this concept is found in "Angel Eyes."

Although Jenifer and Jim might be considered pretty people, I did not see them that way in this movie. They were two average people with problems trying to find their way-- alone and together. I could replay this movie in my head-- replacing the actors with friends and people I know in real life.

My favorite scene is when Caviezel picks up a trumpet and plays one of my mom's favorite songs called, "Nature Boy." Very well done.

Pick up a copy of "Angel Eyes" when you want a nice, not-too-sappy love story. I think it was released around 2000, and again, is probably available if you google it.  Enjoy!!

Please do not try to post a list of all your favorite love stories-- I know the list will be long, and my pc will crash!! But list one or two you have on your mind, and let's have some fun!! I look forward to reading your comments.

Take care until next time!!

Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog Fred, I never have seen Angel Eye before but now you have me curious to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Steve!! Most of my responses have never heard of it. A few people told me they had heard of it, but none had seen it (or, at least, remember seeing it). Hope you get a chance to check it out. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete