Monday, December 20, 2010

New (and fairly new) DVD releases

Hey!!

Hope you are all ready for Christmas!!  I drove by a house that had one of those "real-time" clocks with a Christmas countdown... and I have already forgotten what it said.  But it's coming up, and I wish you all the best this season...

As I thought about a new DVD release I want to see ("Salt"), I flashed to a Hollywood truism-- so many hyped movie releases seem to be followed by yet another hyped release- and they seem to be very, very, scarily similar.  I don't know if it's lack of secrecy in script reviewing, or just coincidence, or what, but it happens frequently to me.

I'm sure you can think of examples the likes of "Troy" and "Alexander the Great;" or "Step up" and Take the Lead."  And I am NOT saying these "sets" are exactly alike- though many times they might be- especially to fans of that genre. To a non-dance guy like me, they may all seem the same, while a fan would say that one was about ballet and the other ballroom, so they are very different.  But, I hope you get my point.  Feel free to post a couple you think fit this truism if you care to.

My "case in point" are three current movies:  "Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)," "Salt (Anjolina Jolie)" and "Killers (Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl)." All three of these movies are right up my alley.  I love movies where I can just sit back and let them rip-- I don't have to think about whether I would do that, or if it was believeable or any other of those thoughts that tend to get in my way when I watch a dramatic movie where the plot "might happen" to me.  All three of these stories are about spies and outlandishly incredible circumstances.

"Knight and Day" and "Killers" are closer to being the same movie, and both are dwarfed by "Salt," in my opinion. And the reason I am blogging about these three is three-fold:

1. They point out my observation that Hollywood tends to release two or three similar movies at a time

2. They are all new or soon-to-be-new DVD releases, and some of you have asked for movie reviews/suggestions

3. Most importantly, I find it odd that, while I normally prefer comedy to other genres, I think the most dramatic (well, at least seriously portrayed) of the three movies is my favorite. Hmmm, I just love my inextricable choices when it comes to the cinema.

All three movies are fast-paced, roller coaster movies. All three involve spies and spying. In all three, part of their presentations allude to not knowing the who, what or when of their situations. The two comedies , "Knight and Day" and "Killers" are more alike, in that, there are bewildered love interests who are just as lost as we, the audience, are.

And let's not forget that each of these movies should have disclaimers stating, "Professional stunt people-- do NOT attempt these at home." I know there are those who watch a stunt and say, "Yeah, right," but I see a stunt and say, "Wow!!" If unbelievabilty ruins a movie for you, do not see any of these three.  But if you like fun rides, these are for you.

Now for my advice-- If you are only going to see one of these, see "Salt," which comes out on DVD this week. It has all the elements I like in a movie (and Angelina is NOT one of those elements).  Of course there is a ton of non-stop action.  There is intrigue.  There is mass confusion. There are relationships, and all the qualities that go with them-- loyalty, trust, love, betrayal. And since Angolina's strong suit seems to be her ability to portray a woman who sacrifices everything for something or someone she cares about-- Changeling (son), Mighty Heart (husband), Beyond Borders (possible true love)-- and, I would dare say, part of "Salt" is discovering what/who she cares about.

Parts of the story are revealed through flashbacks, and some people I know got lost from time to time in the storyline. I did not find it to be the case, but I feel it worth mentioning.

If you only watch a few movies, I would suggest leaving out a drama or two and seeing all three of these (Killers being the weakest), but man cannot live by spy movies alone.  So enjoy your holiday, no matter what you watch-- or don't watch-- and I'll see you back here another time.

Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick

No comments:

Post a Comment