Sometimes you just take a risk and go see a movie just because a guy (or gal) you like is in it-- "Lucky Number Slevin" is such a movie. And Bruce Willis was the guy in question. I admit I would pay good money to see Bruce read ads out of the Yellow Pages-- I just connected with him from all the way back to his quirky Blue Moon Investigations partnership with Cybil Shepard in the TV show, "Moonlighting."
I already mentioned my holiday movie pick, "Die Harder (2)" in which he starred. There will be many more blog posts with his work before long.
I went to see "Lucky Number Slevin" without knowing what it was about-- and 2/3 of the way through it, I still wasn't sure. But as you well know by now, I love a story. This movie starts out with Bruce telling some kid in an airport a story. I was hooked immediately. Then all I had to do was hang on as the story unfolded. Losts of curves, fast balls and twists, but what a joyous ride!!
The movie is chock full of colorful characters. Faces you know and faces you don't. It was nice to just sit back, hold on and let the movie rip. My advice is to watch it without trying to analyze it. Don't try to figure anything out. Just enjoy the action.
My favorite colorful character is played by Lucy Liu. She's not the action figure I am used to in her movies-- Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill, Ecks vs Sever, Payback-- and I found her departure role completely entertaining.
Josh Hartnet is the lead in this movie. I'm not his target market, but I find myself enjoying a lot of his recent works- Sin City, 40 days/ 40 Nights, Wicker Park and Hollywood Homicide. In this flick, he has a bad week, and then it gets even worse. And the phrase, "in a weird way," doesn't even begin to cover it.
The plot involves hit men, warring mob bosses, and gambling-- so there is bound to be some killing and cursing thrown in there. I was so absorbed by the story, that I do not recall any-- but, I've never known Bruce to play a hitman with a clean mouth. So be warned.
I'll take this opportunity to say that most of my movies carry an "R" rating, so these posts are not recommending family movies. If nothing is mentioned, please assume it will NOT be family oriented. I will make a "special dispensation" clause if I think it might be appropriate for all-- like "Up," or something along those lines. There-- "Up," is family oriented. "Up" is a movie about an old man (played by Ed Asner-- well, it's animated) who loses his wife and puts a bunch of balloons on his house and it flies away. He has an unwanted stowaway. As Susan would say, "It's about relationships." I laugh, I cried-- park the whole family on the couch and enjoy. There--don't let it be said I never include family movies in my posts!!
Ok, so strap in and watch, "Lucky Number Slevin," and let me know what you think. If you did see it-- please let me know what you thought. I do not do the reviews, so there are no, "spoiler alerts" here. I prefer to sit and watch a movie without critics' pontifications- just trust me on this one.
Till next time, my friend!!
Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Lucky Number Slevin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I thought the movie was pretty good. It had a complex story but it was a little too violent for my taste
ReplyDeleteI love this comment!! Thank you!! It is absolutely true- this movie was too violent for this viewer!! That is a point I will continue to harp on-- I am not a critic... and this is exactly why!! Who am I (or anyone) to tell you what movie you will like, or what movie you will not-- or worse, what movie you should like, and what movie you shouldn't. Such arrogance some people who call themselves critics have.
ReplyDeleteI have notice that I, personally, have a tendency to overlook violence, profanity, drug use and sexual situations (none of which I condone on screen) if the story is compelling to me. Not everyone does (or should) do this!!
Again, thank you so very much for posting this comment. Please stop by again and post whenever you want-- you are most welcome here.