Monday, December 13, 2010

Holiday Movies

Hey Hey!!

As we approach the holiday season, I'll take a cue from Debbie, who suggested we all watch, "The Holiday," and make this post all about holiday movies. There are so many good holiday movies, we could chat from now until Christmas!! What movies do you watch at Christmas?? Not counting all the seasonal rerun specials on TV, and the music-star-de-jour caroling specials, there are several classics that touch our heart at Christmas. I wish for you and your family a plethora of Christmas specials that you can share, enjoy, discuss and rinse and repeat every year.

It doesn't seem to matter if a movie is old or new, if it carries the Christmas story or the message of a warm heart in a cold world, it is worthwhile to watch as a family. Do you have special Christmas memories?? Are you sharing and making more memories with your kids as well?? Tell me about them- the movie portion, not the recipes and sweets...I'm TRYING to cut back.

For me, the list starts with "Christmas Vacation." I guess it ends with "Christmas Vacation," too. I put some in between, but uncontrolled laughter warms my heart like nothing else. "It's a Wonderful Life," "Miracle on 34th Street" and "White Christmas" are more than just standards, they are a part of me. And they are as close to snow as I care to be anymore.

Of course, the obvious omission is the classic I save for myself when all else have called it a night. I pull it out, dust it off, remove the disc and gingerly place it in the DVD player. The opening starts with, "Oh... the weather outside is frightful..." and I sit down with my (heavily buttered and salted) popcorn and enjoy "Die Hard 2- Die Harder." The blizzard at Dulles, the parking ticket, the parkas, the gunfire, the explosions and plane crashes. Then there's the witty banter and wise- cracking Bruce Willis as Det. John McClane. And the colorful cast of characters-- Led by Dennis Franz. Let's not forget politician Fred Thompson portraying the head of the airport. It could be present day, but for John's famous comeback to the pretty young car rental agent who has helped him (he is technology challenged) communicate from Dulles to his police partner in LA. She looks at him and says, "You know I get off in a few minutes..." and he flashes his Bruce Willis smile (and wedding ring) and quips, "Just the fax, ma'am. Just the fax." I mean, that could only be funny in the 80's. Who remembers "Dragnet," with Jack Webb?? And now you can get fax on cell phone-- so passe. Other than that, though- totally current!! OK, maybe not. But I love it, and it is, and will be, my Christmas present to myself.

So, what is on your list??

See you next time, my friend.

Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick

2 comments:

  1. Some Christmas movies I look forward to watching with mom and Elisa are Veggie Tales: The Toy That Saved Christmas, and The Star of Christmas. Then there's The Holiday, Noel (which we watched last night!), the DVD of Simpsons Christmas episodes, and The Nativity Story. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment, but I know there have got to be more.
    Oh! Harry Potter marathons! Each movie lasts a year so there's usually a brief Christmas scene at least ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favortie Christmas show is a classic.....How the Grinch stole Christmas!! As far as I am concerned they don't play the classics enough during the Christmas holiday so that those who don't have them on DVD can see them on TV!! The only setback with watching them on TV is those inferno commercials!! They always break for a commercial right at the exciting spots in the movie/show!! Two other favorites of mine would be Christmas Vacation and Christmas with the Kranks. Some day I would like to have a Christmas like the one on Christmas Vacation, although, without all the drama!! They have aired this movie I think a little too much this year and all around the same time instead of spreading the airings out!! I have not seen Christmas with the Kranks on TV but never fear, I have it on DVD!! The holiday movie they are airing alot these days is Miracle on 34th Street both with Natalie Wood and the newer version with Mara Wilson, mostly the classic with Natalie Wood which I have watched already!!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete