Monday, January 31, 2011

The Notebook

Hello movie fan!

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to be dragged to the theater to see a "chick flick." As a rule, I don't mind chick flicks, but I prefer to see them on DVD. Why waste the big screen? Big screens were made for explosions, jet packs and afterburners, car crashes and the like-- not tears rolling down mascara-streaked cheeks.  I get the concept of anguish, and DVD is about the right dose of visual for me.

Still, I know I am not the only type of movie goer (some even want 3D horror flicks), so I chose to go along. I did say I was fortunate to be dragged to a "chick flick," because this one was called, "The Notebook." I agreed to go because James Garner was in it. I love Garner. And no disrespect to the guy, but I loved James Garner playing James Garner-- I didn't even know he could act until I saw "The Notebook."

James Garner is always entertaining to me.  His sarcasm and wit was probably instrumental shaping my lifestyle and decisions as a youngster- including many for which I spent in the equivalent of modern day "time outs." But we'll stay away from those, for the time being. As "Maverick," his smile and one liners made me laugh.  As "Rockford," he traded a horse and cowboy hat for a Trans Am. Yet, his smile and wit still made me laugh- even when he was getting punched for them. In "Space Cowboys," his smile and wit culminated in "later years" humor. Then came the "Ya Yas" and he tried something new- playing mediator.

I figured James was going to do something similar in this second chick flick. He shocked me completely by doing something I had never seen him do in all my years as a fan- he was acting! Again, no disrespect, but James Garner can act- who knew? He took me on an emotional roller coaster that I was not prepared for- and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The movie is out on DVD, and I own it. I am sure you have seen it (either willingly or otherwise) but if you haven't- see it.  It is amazingly good. It is based on a book- which is probably better, but so what?- but this movie stands alone. It is well directed and well acted. It is told in flashback fashion-- actually the same couple is presented in the present and in the story of their past during the WWII era.

I enjoyed both sets of actors and actresses. I was as engrossed in their past story as I was their present story. It is real and easy to believe. More importantly, it is compelling.

This was truly a "journey-is-more-important-than-the-destination" kind of movie. I just found myself being led deeper and deeper into the story.

I am enjoying Rachel McAdams more and more as well. She is an actress.  She may well become a movie star, but I hope not. It may be good for her in the short term, but I find very few stars who act.  It may be the fault of Hollywood and the biz- for for whatever reason, very few stars act anymore. Rachel, up to this point, has played a variety of roles- and she nails each one.

I even went back to "The Hot Chick" with what's his face because I was so impressed with her portrayal in "The Notebook," I wanted to see more of her work. I'm not suggesting you do this, but when I did, the little bit that she was on screen, was really good work. Rachel McAdams is here for real, my friend.

Pick up "The Notebook" and enjoy it with someone you love. Oh, this movie is rated PG-13 (The Notebook, not Hot Chick), and I do not remember anything objectionable (but remember the source here, OK?), but having said that- there is much in the theme of the movie, and topics that arise, that I would not expose young children to. They would probably be bored anyway- after all, it is still a chick flick.

Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick

No comments:

Post a Comment