Hi movie friend!!
I don't often take the time to see movies at the theater. Besides being expensive (who can go without the #1 Popcorn/Drink Combo?), there are not too many high-quality or must-see (for me) movies being released these days. Please remember, I mentioned my movie-watching categories (see my page, "Welcome to my Blog!!" if you missed it earlier) as "theater," "$1.00 theater" and "DVD."
A movie I consider to be a "theater" movie, is "Red" with Bruce Willis (and an all-star cast). It is PG-13. Rare for Bruce, but he pulls this one off magnificently. Keep in mind that Bruce and I go way back (Moonlighting), and I would probably pay money to see him read the Yellow Pages onstage. Still, I enjoyed the ride from start to finish.
I am extremely pleased that he plays a retiree, and not a college kid or something. Bruce is comfortable in his skin. As I think about it, that fact is probably his best trait. Neither of us wants to go back to high school-- we look forward, not back.
Having said that, I probably like his refusal to grow up just about as much. Neither of us wants to be stereo-typed into being old guys with garden hoses, yelling, "Get off my lawn." (Wait, Clint made that comment in "Gran Torino." He pulled it off ok-- it's just not Bruce or me)
I like to think that Bruce and I both know the difference between childlike (good) and childish (not-so-good). We choose to keep our wonderment of life-- as through a child's eyes-- as we move from one phase into the next of our lives. We take life seriously, but we don't have to be serious all the time-- or even most of the time.
In point of fact, the entire cast seems to have a ball in this movie. Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and even Mary Louise Parker (who I can only take in very small doses) all make the movie fun. I don't need much of an excuse to break out into laughter, so for me, this movie is a mood-altering drug (in a good way-- salt and hot butter are not controlled substances, are they??).
I do not have any lines or spoiler alerts to insert here. I'll just say that RED stands for Retired, Extremely Dangerous. Bruce puts his own twist on putting together an all-star squad to preserve life as they know it.
I do not know if you still have time to see "Red" at the theater or not. I do not know if you categorize movies the way I do or not. But I do know that I will rent the DVD when it comes out. I do know I will share it with as many people who will watch it with me. And I do know that if you have started to identify with me, or if you have found yourself liking some of my movie selections from previous posts... then you will like, "Red."
Hit the theater if you have time (and some discretionary income) or rent the DVD when it comes out (No, I don't know when-- I'm not a critic, nor am I privy to such info). When you do-- or if you have already seen it-- post a comment here and let me/ us know what you thought, ok??
All my best to you!!
Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment