Hey, Hey!
I know I'm starting to show my age (OK, maybe not just starting, but I'm noticing it more... fair enough?) but I sure long for some good, old fashioned comedies. Today, comedies lack comedy. There are some comedic themes out there- some of them very repetitive- but most modern comedies are sadly lacking. In fact, more than once this week, as I started to unfold a scene from a movie to a listener, and he would break into laughter, I would say something like, "Yeah, the concept is actually funnier than the scene was." How sad is that?
When Blake Edwards died last year, we lost another great. And I seem to be the only one looking for someone to replace him. Most of us know him from the "Pink Panther" series, and some other Peter Sellers movies. My favorite movie of his was, "What Did You Do In The War, Daddy?" It's been too long since I have seen it, and I think tonight, in his honor, I will revisit this comedy classic.
Made in '65 or '66, "What Did You Do In The War, Daddy?" sits amidst the Peter Sellers classics. It stars James Coburn, and has great character actors like Dick Shawn (Hitler in the original "The Producers"), Carroll O'Connor (yes, Archie Bunker), and Henry Morgan (M.A.S.H. Col Potter).
I do not recall any CGI in the movie. In some of the fight scenes, they visibly swing "air punches" that could never have connected. As I think back on it, it actually reminds me more of a play on stage than a movie. The choreography is so fake that modern day audiences might be offended. No arms detach from bodies during explosions (This is kinda-sorta a war movie, after all). I don't even remember if it was shot on location or a back lot set. Why, there might even be some contradictions to authentic uniforms, equipment and such.
What I do remember is laughing so hard that none of that mattered. I enjoyed it all- from setting up the story to the ending credits. I threw out all worries of authenticity, and even believability, and went with the story. I got sucked deeper and deeper into the madness.
The basic story is an army captain is ordered to take a town in Italy. The Italians surrender immediately- without a fight at all- if they are allowed to have a festival first. Of course, regulations prohibit anything of the kind, but his Leutenant (Played by Coburn) finally convinces him that the logic of it overrides the illegality of it. Ends justifying the means. From there, it just gets crazy.
The subject matter is for adults, but it is subtly displayed and referred to. Well, that may not be entirely true, but at least there is nothing objectionable on screen. Less is more, in this case. I can remember laughing at lines, at physical gags and at situational absurdities. The whole movie just seems to work for me, and I cannot wait to pop some corn, park in front of the screen and laugh the night away.
They say laughter is the best medicine. I tend to agree- it certainly has been true in my case. My wish for you is a life full of love and laughter. Of course, I would want for much of that laughter to be generated by you and yours personally. But you could do worse than to augment your life's laughter with a little hollywood magical laughter. And, "What Did You Do In The War, Daddy?" would certainly fit the bill.
Enjoy your day and your life.
Warm regards,
Fred T Wyrick
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment